THE VOICE OF TALKING BOOKS
“not simply a reader but an artist of the spoken word”
I RECORD AUDIOBOOKS MA'AM
“Wow! What a year it’s been”
I’m Gordon Griffin
I’ve been an actor for over 50 years and I’ve done it all: from Shakespeare to rock musicals. Claims to fame? Well, for quite a while I was the voice telling you to ‘Mind the Gap, Please’ on the London Underground. I also presented PlaySchool for a while and in my first film I acted a scene with Gregory Peck and Sophia Loren. Just the three of us! I was in the first two series of Byker Grove and in fact spoke the very first words of the very first episode.
But on this website I’ll concentrate on my award-winning career recording audiobooks. I’ve recorded over 800 – from Homer to Chris Ryan, from Gogol to Hilary Mantel from Dickens to Catherine Cookson!
In November 2017 the Queen presented me with an MBE and yes! we talked about audiobooks!
I’ve recorded over 800 – from Homer to Chris Ryan, from Gogol to Hilary Mantel from Dickens to Catherine Cookson!
“Sometimes, rarely, you finish an audio book and wonder if you will ever hear such a perfect combination of voice, text, and mood again. Gordon Griffin won an award for his reading of Oxygen I'm not surprised.”
I was completely enthralled. The reason I think for this was the absorbing and compelling character interpretation given by Gordon Griffin. I actually think the reading transcended the genre of the books, which I acknowledge are fairly populist. I'd go so far as to say that it changed them into real works of art!
Gordon Griffin is an entire acting company in one person….The masterful Griffin works something like magic”
The voice of talking books
Over 800 titles and counting
His memoir, Ascent, charts not only his many triumphs in the climbing world – such as the Eiger and the Himalayas – but also the struggles he has faced in his life bringing up a family and maintaining a successful and loving marriage over the decades of travelling the world to conquer mountains.
Shadows and Sins
The body of a woman has been discovered in Castle Farthing Woods, and it appears that although she had been dead for years, nobody had ever reported her missing. DI Harry Falconer of the Market Darley police is perplexed and not only in his working life.
Body and Soul
When his estranged daughter Katherine suddenly appears on his doorstep, Elder knows that something is badly wrong. The breakdown of her relationship with a controversial artist has sent her into a self-destructive tailspin which culminates in murder.
Over 800 titles and counting!
821. ARMISTICE by Francis Brett Young
820. ARMISTICE DAY by Stacey Aumonier
819. MADEMOISELLE FROM ARMENTEERS by Stephen Morehouse Avery
818. THE NAVY UNDER THE SEA by “Bartimeus” (Lewis da Costa Ricci)
817. THE MAGIC OF MUHAMMED DIN by Frederick Britten Austin
816. THE DEATH GRIP by “Sapper” (HC McNeile)
815. TRUTH’S WELCOME HOME by Edward Garnett
814. AS IS WRITTEN; A STRANGE STORY by “Tetroul”
813. THE SAFE by HB Marriott Watson
812. A PRISONER OF WAR by PG Wodehouse
811. THE PRISONER’S DEFENCE (single version) by Arthur Conan Doyle
810. THE PRISONER’S DEFENCE (SHORT STORIES) by Ann-Marie Einhaus (compiler)
809. MURDER IN A NUNNERY by Eric Shepherd
808.THE MARRIAGE HEARSE by Kate Ellis
807. THE PADDINGTON MYSTERY by John Rhode
806. FUGITIVE FROM THE GRAVE by Edward Marston
805. THE MALLEN STREAK by Catherine Cookson
804. THE YORKSHIRE VET THROUGH THE SEASONS by Julian Norton
803. SHADOWS AND SINS by Anthea Frazer
802. A CURSED INHERITANCE by Kate Ellis
801. THE PLAGUE MAIDEN by Kate Ellis
800. BODY AND SOUL by John Harvey
799. ELEMENTARY MURDER by AJ Wright
798. MYSTERY AT OLYMPIA by John Rhode
797. UNDER ATTACK by Edward Marston
796. A PAINTED DOOM by Kate Ellis
795. DEATH AT BREAKFAST by John Rhode
794. LEARNING CURVE by Catherine Aird
793. DEATH OF AN OLD GIT by Anthea Frazer
792. THE MECHANICAL DEVIL by Kate Ellis
791. INVISIBLE WEAPONS by John Rhode
790. A DISTANT BANNER by Roy Lewis
789. THE BONE GARDEN by Kate Ellis
788. THE FUNERAL BOAT by Kate Ellis
787. AN UNHALLOWED GRAVE by Kate Ellis
786. BIBLE READINGS AND COMMENTARIES by The Scripture Union
785. THE STORY OF RELIGION by John Hawkins
784. OPERATION RHINE MAIDEN by Frederick E Smith
783. ASCENT by Chris Bonington
782. THE CHOPHAM AFFAIR by Edgar Wallace
781. THE GHOST’S TOUCH by Fergus Hume
Books I'll be recording soon
INTRIGUE IN COVENT GARDEN
by Susanna Gregory.
(Another in the Thomas Chaloner series set in post-Restoration London by Cambridge academic Susanna Gregory)
THE SISTER’S SECRET
by Jennie Felton.
(her powerful new period drama)
WEEKEND AT THACKLEY
by Alan Melville.
(Another in the British Crime Classics series, this one by the wonderful Melville, playwright, lyricist, script-writer and altogether good egg)